Sunday 5 January 2014

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move - Robert Louis Stevenson

Storms continue to batter the country at large. The island. My home. However, my immediate vicinity seems to have been spared the worst. Apart from my guttering. Which flew past my window and across the road during the worse part of the gales. Much to my dismay. And that of my neighbours, in whose garden it landed.

I did witness some of the more dramatic damage on a drive around the coast hours after a spell of heavy rainfall. Some parts of the road were flooded. And seaweed strewn. Still passable though, at that stage. Methinks they are not so passable now. And far more dramatic.

But I enjoyed the run round. I was showing the island to a friend of mine. Showing it off, indeed. She arrived in the morning to grey skies and drizzling rain. But after a good, hearty pub lunch, the clouds cleared away and we could stroll across the beach under blue skies and a few rays of sun.

It was a good day all round. Lovely to see her. Lovely to share my new environment with her. Lovely to be out on the beach.

But down to more serious things. I start work this week and am a tad nervous, to say the least. I did a dry run drive over to my work place this weekend. Just to calm my nerves. Or at least try. I do so dislike first days at work. I've had a few due to my propensity to move around a fair bit. And yet I never get accustomed to them. I likely won't sleep tonight. Won't manage breakfast tomorrow morning. And will worry my way through the whole day. But then it will be over. Hopefully for a long, long while.

It was wonderful to remind myself of my new working environment. Beautiful as it is. And while many parts of the island are sitting under water, these fields seem untouched. As green as ever. And full of sheep. Of course. 

I have a good feeling about it. I really do. Let's hope my instinct is trustworthy. It hasn't let me down thus far. So let's see. Watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. Was lovely to see you too m'dear. Hope first morning went well and lived up to your expectations. First day back at work for me too today and we have the delightful 'galette des rois' shindig to look forward to this evening......

    ReplyDelete