Thursday 30 January 2014

One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things - Henry Miller

Lambs are here! Lots of them. Everywhere you look, there're more and more. And more on the way. How cute are they? There are black ones and white ones. Fat ones and thin ones. I nearly crashed the car this week, straining to see one particularly cautious, cute one cuddling up to its mother.

I also nearly crashed into a sheep this week. Thankfully I drive slowly because of the tight, country lanes. And as I journeyed away from work the other day, I came round a corner and face to face with a beautiful, white and fluffy sheep. She was totally unperturbed by my presence. Or by my car's presence, more to the point. She did accept to move when I flashed my headlights at her. But thought about it a moment before she did.

Indeed, I've been encountering a good deal of wildlife these past couple of weeks. Rabbits scampering about the lanes, the audacious sheep in the lane. And lots of impressive birds. Dancing starlings aside, I have been privileged to see a number of larger birds of the preying variety. None of which I'd dare to name as I am no bird watcher. But I keep seeing them sitting along the roadside. Or hovering over a nearby field. Hunting, I imagine. Or maybe just watching the world go by.

I will try to keep my camera with me in the future to share these wondrous sights. And to educate myself on the bird front.

No comments:

Post a Comment